Are You Ready For US Citizenship?

Moving from an immigrant status to U.S. citizenship is an exciting transition for many people. The benefits of citizenship Immigration include the right to vote, hold a U.S. passport and petition for additional family members to come to the United States. Once you have become a U.S. citizen, you will no longer have to apply for green card renewals. Citizenship status is very rarely revoked. Your legal status as a U.S. citizen will most likely last for the rest of your life.

Opportunities For Naturalization

Before you embark on the naturalization process, consult with an immigration lawyer to confirm:

  • Whether you are eligible for citizenship
  • How to become a U.S. citizen without obstacles.

If there are challenges to your moral character or other troubles along the way, an experienced attorney may help you find ways to overcome these hurdles. At Kuykendall Law Office in Peoria, Illinois, immigration lawyer Kevin R. Kuykendall can evaluate your case and recommend the most promising path forward on your road to citizenship. Do you have criminal convictions on the books over alleged domestic violence, driving while intoxicated (DWI) or tax fraud? Talk to Mr. Kuykendall about your options for overcoming these potential roadblocks.


A common question in our immigration law office is, "How long do I have to be a permanent resident before I can become a U.S. citizen?" The answer may vary depending on specifics of your situation.

Immigration laws are detailed, complicated and subject to change. The statements on this web page are general in nature. They do not constitute legal advice or take into account all variables of your circumstances. For a personalized analysis on your potential pathway to citizenship, contact an attorney who will help you explore your options and create a strategy for completing the process in a timely manner.

Claiming American Citizenship

If you did not have U.S. citizen parents or grandparents, you may qualify if you have been in the U.S. with a green card for several years or longer. In most cases, you are ready to move from permanent resident to citizenship if:

  • You have lived and worked in the U.S. on a green card for five years or longer.
  • You are married to a U.S. citizen and have lived in the U.S. with permanent residency for at least three years.

In either case, you must have been physically present in the U.S. for more than half the required time period.

If a parent or grandparent was born in the U.S., you should be able to claim your right to U.S. citizenship through the blood or adoption relationship. Talk to one of our immigration lawyers about how to confirm your legal rights of citizenship.

'What About My Child And The Child Citizenship Act?'

If you are a U.S. citizen, your natural-born or adopted child may qualify for U.S. citizenship without the residency time requirement. If you are a permanent resident or have another status in the U.S., ask one of our lawyers about your child's immigration status and opportunities. Contact Kuykendall Law Office by email or by phone at 309-409-0931 to schedule a consultation.